Monday, October 03, 2005

Hold That Ghost

Evelyn Ankers wrote the forward to "The Wolf Man . . . ," edited and compiled by Philip Riley, MagicImage Filmbooks, New York, 1993, pages 9 - 11. She wrote:
(That's Evelyn Ankers in the middle of this still.
My introduction to Universal Studios was worse than pledging for a college sorority. It was an Abbott and Costello picture entitled Hold That Ghost [1941]. In looking back I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how they ever got a picture finished. Once Lou Costello found out that I was English, from the English "Theatre", I spent most of my time checking my purse for mice and making sure that I had a solid wall behind me so that I wasn't squirted with a hose or swatted in a most uncomfortable spot through a canvas. They must have kept the local bakers very busy, for a typical vaudeville pie fight was soon a weekly event! They probably had pies written into their contract. At least the antics on The Wolf Man set were better than the "vaudeville slapstick through the canvas" trick of Lou Costello. Did I say better? Let's say different!
(This is courtesy of
[About working on The Wolf Man set]
I was standing on the set, occupied with learning lines or something like that when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, expecting to see Ralph Bellamy or one off the other production members, I found myself inches away from a snarling beast! He bared his fangs and grabbed me with those hairy claws. I almost jumped right out of my skin. He would always break into chuckles. It was good that he was so big and didn't let go as he tried to quiet my screams--for he did anchor me down preventing me from knocking over the prop trees or running headlong into a wall giving myself a bump on the head. But once was enough for me--not him though.
(This still is for all you blood-thirsty monster-lovers out there
courtesy of www.horror-wood.com!)
<><>
You really have to admire Evelyn Ankers for continuing her movie career! Not to mention for not beaning Lon Chaney on various parts of his anatomy!
<><>
Please check out Jonathan Geffner's
<><>
Miss Maven can be reached at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home