Saturday, September 17, 2005

The Wizard of Oz

"The Wizard of Oz" originally had a surprise for movie lovers!*
Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Cowardly Lion are on their way to the Witch's Castle when they are attacked by blue and white insects that she has sent . . . Jitter Bugs!
Anyone the little blighters bite immediately are stricken with doing the dance known as the jitterbug!
DOROTHY: Did you hear what I just heard?
LION: That noise don't come from no ordinary bird.
DOROTHY: It may be just a cricket
. . . Or a critter in the trees.
TIN MAN: It's giving me the jitters
. . . In the joints around the knees.
SCARECROW: I think I see a jijik
. . . And he's fuzzy and he's furry.
. . . I haven't got a brain
. . . But I think I ought to worry.
TIN MAN: I haven't got a heart
. . . But I've got a palpitation.
LION: As Monarch of the Forest
. . . I don't like the sitchy-ation.
DOROTHY (to Lion): Are you gonna stand around
. . . And let him fill us full of horror?
LION: I'd like to roar him down . . .
. . . But I think I've lost my roarer.
TIN MAN: It's a whozis.
SCARECROW: It's a whozis?
LION: It's a whatzis.
SCARECROW: It's a whatzis?
TIN MAN: Whozat?
LION: Whozat?
DOROTHY (singing chorus):
Who's that hiding
In the tree top?
It's that rascal
The Jitter Bug.
.
Should you catch him
Buzzin' round you,
Just look out for
The Jitter Bug.
.
Oh, the bees in the breeze
And the bats in the trees
Have a terrible, horrible buzz
But the bees in the breeze
And the bats in there trees
Couldn't do what the Jitter Bug does.
.
So be careful
Of that rascal.
Keep away from
The Jitter Bug.+
+Copyright (C) 1938, renewed 1966 Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer, Inc. Copyright (C) renewed 1967 Leo Feist, Inc. Rights throughout the world administered by Leo Feist, Inc.
. . .
*by Aljean Harmetz, "The Making of 'The Wizard of Oz,'" Delta (Dell Publishing), New York, 1977, pages 83 - 85.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home